Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hump-Day Lunch Day at Mid-Day Today!

Several of us received a note yesterday from Colleen with the above subject inviting us to lunch today! What a fun way to bill it. She offered up taco salads for us, but solicited a dessert contribution. I love doing desserts, so volunteered to contribute that for our gathering. So this is what I came up with. It's a recipe I tried for the first time when Ty and David were here this summer getting in our winter firewood. I worked hard to make sure they were well-fed while they were here, so made several desserts. This was the favorite of all, I think. It is so good! And so easy! Raspberry Cream Tart

Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 to 10 Servings

3/4 c sliced almonds
1/2 c sugar
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp almond extract
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp plus 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
3/4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c fresh raspberries

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor, pulse almonds and granulated sugar until finely ground, being careful to stop before they turn into nut butter. Add flour and salt and pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. With motor running, add combined egg, egg yolk, and almond extract and whirl until dough comes together.
2. Press dough evenly into the bottom (not the sides) of a 10-in tart pan with removable rim. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then remove rim.
3. In a small frying pan, bring 1 inch of water to boil. Put chocolate in a small metal bowl. Set bowl directly in boiling water, turn off heat, and stir until melted. Stir in 2 tbsp cream. Spread chocolate on crust and let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat remaining 1/2 c cream to firm peaks. Fold in softened mascarpone, pow sugar, and vanilla. Spread on chocolated coated crust. Serve tart immediately or cover with saran wrap and chill up to overnight.

You will love this one! Obviously, at this time of year I didn't have any fresh raspberries, so a sprinkle of sliced almonds made a nice topping. Sliced almonds are darned pricey, so I chopped up some of Costco bulk whole almonds and used those in the crust. I saved the sliced almonds for the top. You could also use some grated chocolate on the top. If you don't have the tart pan, you can use a cheesecake pan or even just a regular tart pan or a pie plate.

Now I'm going to give you a bonus of another recipe. Lucky! Yesterday I did the October Soup Swap and as I was going through some of the other recipes that were posted I came across what I think is a really tempting recipe for green chili corn muffins. So I'm going to share that one also. I can hardly wait to try it.

Green Chili Corn Muffins
1 pkg (8 1/2 oz) corn bread/muffin mix (Jiffy Mix)
1 pkg (9 oz) yellow cake mix (surprise!)
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/3 c water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
1 c (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided

In a large bowl, combine dry corn bread and cake mixes. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, water and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Add chilies and 3/4 c cheese.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 for 20 - 22 minutes or until muffins test done. Immediately sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.

This will be so good with your next batch of chili or just a bowl of soup. Right now that sounds really good, seeing as how it actually is snowing up a storm outside. I'm beginning to wonder if we are going to have our normal, wonderful Indian summer. Doesn't look like it. The worst of that is that Mark and Russ are in the middle of sanding and re-staining our garage. I don't think they will get it done this year. They waited too long--they live here--they should know better! Anyway, if you know me, then you know I never use any kind of mix at all--ever. But I am really intrigued by this recipe, so I will try it. It will make a sweeter muffin with the bite of the spicy chilies. Interesting. Try it! Let me know what you think. I'm going to go look for a good soup recipe to cook up tomorrow. Then I'm going to get in wood for my fire in the morning. What a way to start the day--I love it! Nice warm fire. A hot cup of coffee. My study time. I love morning!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks for the recipes. We have 15 gallon ziplock bags of raspberries in the freezer. The raspberries about ran us out of house and home again this season, YEAH!

I understand how expensive almonds are, well most nuts these days.
The cornbread looks yummy, except we'll adapt it to our own homemade cornbread mix. Thanks for sharing, see you next week.
Blessings for this day,
Kelle