Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Best Ever Lemon Pie -- No Kidding!!

Joan and Barry went to Arizona and picked lemons in their friends' backyard, and Joan brought me these two lemons as a gift. The only thing I know to do with freshly-picked lemons is to make a pie. I'm not all that fond of lemon meringue pie, so I found this lemon pie recipe on-line a few years ago and it is certainly my favorite.
So, of course, I made a pie! No, it's not burned--it has butter and cream in it, so browns easily.
Emilly will know what this is. One always has to make extra pie crust, so Emily (and Jenny!) can have pie crust treats.

LEMON PIE
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, beaten
5 Tbsp heavy cream
Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and cream, then lemon juice/rind. Bake in pastry-lined pans for 20 to 30 minutes. Makes three 7-inch pies.
NOTE: I used this filling in a 10-inch pie pan which I baked about 30 minutes at 400, then dropped to 350 for about 10 minutes. Even at that, it still wasn't quite set in the center, but the top was getting really brown. Probably would try dropping the temp after maybe 20 minutes and letting it finish baking. I don't have 7-inch pie pans, so have to make some kind of adjustment. It's a fabulous tasting recipe. Just ask Robert!!! From the Lambert Street Guesthouse in Granberry, Texas.

No comments: