Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Last Hurrah for Soup--boy was it good!

My prayer buddies came over from Jackson today for prayer and lunch and what a delight it was. Such a beautiful day, sun shining, spring is coming, good fellowship, and yummy food. I have to share these two recipes, cause they were so good. I love soup so it's always an option for any entertaining I do during soup season, and I think we're just about at the end of that. Walt went fishing in Alaska last summer and came home with 110 pounds of salmon and some halibut, so when I saw a recipe for salmon chowder I figured that would be a good choice. Boy, was I right--it's a keeper.



SALMON CHOWDER
6 small red potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
6 Tbsp butter
4 cups half-and-half cream
2 cans (6 oz) boneless skinless salmon, drained and flaked
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 dried thyme
In a large saucepan, saute the potatoes, carrots and onion in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until heated through. And enjoy. Not sure if this will be as good with canned salmon...you might want to come to our house and I'll fix the real thing!
When Walt and I were in Madrid a few years ago I decided to find the best arroz con leche (rice pudding) in the city--kind of a specialty there. You have to understand that when we travel I buy a travel guide and go directly to the dining section. After I have figured out all the restaurants I want to go to, then I look at the sightseeing and try to fit that in with our dining schedule--yeah, I'm a foodie!!! So anyway, when I saw this recipe for creamy rice pudding I decided to give it a try. Boy, was I right on with this one.
CREAMY RICE PUDDING
with Praline Sauce
2 cups milk
1 cup uncooked extra long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp salt
2 3/4 cups half-and-half, divided
4 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
20 caramels
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
Stir together first 3 ingredients and 2 cups half-and-half in a large saucepan. cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, 35 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
Whisk together egg yolks, 1/2 cup half-and-half, and sugar. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot rice mixture into yolk mixture; stir yolk mixture into remaining hot mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly (about 7 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
Stir together caramels and remaining 1/4 cup half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Stir in pecans. Serve praline sauce over rice pudding. ENJOY!!!

No comments: