Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Abundance of Summer

Walt flew out of Salt Lake on Tuesday, so I stayed with friends, Jim and Judy, and did some sewing for their kitchen nook.  Made the curtain panels and some pillows for the banquette.
Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.  Judy picked the gorgeous black main fabric.  Worked well with all the black accents in her kitchen.  It was a fun project.  I love taking hunks of fabric and using them to turn a space into a place that says 'welcome.'
So I left Salt Lake yesterday morning and as I was driving along I remembered I promised Ellen that I would bring her some tomatoes and peaches.  Fortunately, I was not past Pettingill's Produce Farm, so I headed in there.  They didn't have peaches yet - too early - but did have tomatoes.  So I bought a box for Ellen and a box for myself.
I now have 8 quarts of peeled, quartered tomatoes ready to go into the freezer for winter soups, stews, and sauces.  Will be so good.  And I saved out about a dozen tomatoes that I will be able to slice and slurp!  Love fresh tomatoes.  Nothing says summer quite like a big juicy tomato right out of the garden.

No comments: